Pages

Tuesday 22 September 2015

Homemade Laundry Liquid

I've been waiting to make this for a while now, just had to finish all the store bought laundry liquid first. I have been saving the bottles too for a while which is just as well because this recipe makes 
10 Litres! Its so easy.

Items you will need:

  • A large stock pot or bucket
  • 1 1/2L boiling water
  • 1 cup Lux soap flakes or grated laundry soap
  • 1/2 cup washing soda
  • 8L cold water
  • Whisk
  • Bottles (I saved my old laundry liquid bottles - could use milk bottles)



Instructions:

Mix boiling water and Lux flakes in a large pot with a whisk until dissolved then add the washing soda and whisk again. The water will instantly start to thicken. Add cold water bit by bit mixing as you go until you have added the rest of the cold water. The liquid will continue to thicken as it cools and can separate. The more you mix while it is cooling the smoother the consistency will be.

Pour the liquid into saved containers and fill almost to the top. Leave a little space to shake before use. 


Use 1/4 - 1/2 cup per load or whatever works for you. 

This liquid is suitable for front and top loader washing machines and is also safe for septic tanks and grey water.

You could also add a few drops of essential oil to make it smell pretty.

And that's it! Simple, environmentally friendly, oh and cheap to make too. I think a box of Lux costs about $7, washing soda about $3 and I only used a fraction of it so plenty left for the next time. I'd say 10L cost less than $2!!!

The rain has stopped now so back to the garden to plant out some more of my seedlings which I will share next time - oh and our new girls too.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...